Making the #Sitecore Switch from #Lucene to #SOLR with Custom Indexes

Recently I did my first conversion from Lucene to SOLR. With Lucene being phased out in Sitecore 9 this will probably be more common. You can find a lot of different installation guides in installing SOLR, but there are a few things that tripped me up that I want to prevent others from having to deal with.

Avoid Pitfalls

  • Make sure every Lucene config is disabled. Even the ones in the sub folders.
  • Make sure all the SOLR configs are enabled even the ones in the sub folders.
  • Make sure you don’t have any Cores with the same name inside the core.properties file. I had Sitecore_Master_Index in more than one file and all my Cores would disappear every time I restarted until I corrected the name.

Custom Indexes Differences

Some of this is obvious as you can replace Lucene with Solr, but some were not so obvious to me and I had to do some research and ask for help. I highlighted the less obvious ones.

From this:

<index
id=acme_widgetgroups_index” type=Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider.LuceneIndex, Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider>

To this:

<index
id=acme_widgetgroups_index” type=Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.SolrSearchIndex, Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider>

From this:

<configuration
ref=contentSearch/indexConfigurations/defaultLuceneIndexConfiguration>

To this:

<configuration
ref=contentSearch/indexConfigurations/defaultSolrIndexConfiguration>

From this:

<fieldMap
type=Sitecore.ContentSearch.FieldMap, Sitecore.ContentSearch>

To this:

<fieldMap
ref=contentSearch/indexConfigurations/defaultSolrIndexConfiguration/fieldMap>

From this:

<field fieldName=widgetfilters” storageType=YES” indexType=TOKENIZED” vectorType=NO” boost=1f” type=System.String” settingType=Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider.LuceneSearchFieldConfiguration, Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider />

To this:

<field fieldName=widgetfilters” returnType=string />

From this:

<documentOptions
type=Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider.LuceneDocumentBuilderOptions, Sitecore.ContentSearch.LuceneProvider>

To this:

<documentOptions
type=Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider.SolrDocumentBuilderOptions, Sitecore.ContentSearch.SolrProvider>

I hope this helps you as you do your conversion. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s